Coyote Falls – Sunday Short #10

I know I usually throw up indie shorts here, but I couldn’t resist highlighting this when I found it. Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote in full 3D glory. Some may say that it’s sacrilege, it doesn’t have the heart of the originals etc etc. Personally, I think that third dimension adds a whole new spectrum of funny to Wile E.’s escapades, and I think they’ve done a great job of keeping the look of two characters faithful to their 2D originals. You can decide for yourself…

Advertisements

El Vendedor de Humo – Sunday Short #8

The Smoke-Seller is an animated short film made ​​entirely by students at the spanish animation school, PrimerFrame.

Sally character – wip 2

Here’s the latest mesh of Sally, co-star of our 3d short, iRover. I think this is pretty much the finished mesh now. I still have some tweaks to add in a few folds to her clothes, and I need to work some more on her textures, like her eyelashes, eyebrows and hair. I’ve decided not to use particle hair in this, I still haven’t quite got the hang of it, so I’m sticking to poly hair for now. She’ll also need a couple of wardrobe changes throughout which I’ll work on later. But this will be enough for now to work on a rig. I did some mild tweaking to her face and head, my previous version seemed a little too young in my opinion, you can see the comparison in the pic below. I think you’ll agree she looks a lot more natural.

Pigeon Impossible – Sunday Short #4

Great characterisation, nicely rendered, and brilliantly funny, and although it’s 3 years old now, it’s still one of my favourite 3d shorts. It was 4 years in production, and you can check out some behind the scenes podcasts and even get a special edition DVD over at the Pigeon Impossible website. Definitely worth a look if you’re interested in how a short is put together.

iRover in the garden

I came out to the back garden yesterday and found this lovable guy playing on the patio!

Another test for Blender using the camera tracking feature. I’m still practicing with this quite a bit, and trying to check out its capabilities since I still get quite excited by the results. Considering this was footage just shoot on my iPhone 4s it turned out pretty good. Blender currently only has camera presets for the top end cameras, so finding sensor sizes and focal lengths for the iPhone on the net can be tricky. However, I found a post over in Blenderartists where Malcando has been collecting settings which seems to have worked perfectly.

I took the opportunity to test out my iRover rig too. It was a productive experience since I’ve discovered a few things that need sorted out before I use him again, particularly his feet. They need some tweaking since they don’t seem to rotate around the z axis without twisting. I had also previously added IK/FK switches too, but I don’t think he’s going to need any FK control for his feet. I may simplify the rig and remove the FK controls. I also need to add in some custom control bones to make the rig easier to pose. And I still have to work on his textures, particularly his eyes, which I intend to have as a digital style display.

Woohoo! I am iPhone..

At last, I finally became the proud owner of a iPhone today. It’s obviously gonna take a wee while to get used to but I’m getting there. I haven’t gotten round to downloading any new apps yet, so I’m just typing this up in Safari.
So, to celebrate, and in the usual tradition of me creating wallpaper anytime I get a new mobile, I decided to make myself a couple of new ones. Feel free to download and use them if you want, just leave me a comment if you download them. And no selling them off please!

Workloads and holidays and video games…

I haven’t posted in a while mainly because I’ve been very busy in work. I also bought Monster Hunter Tri which was taking up a bit of my time until I came across the Giant Jagga, and he’s still roaming those damn Sandy Plains. I also had a couple of weeks off work which I mostly spent decorating. So not a whole lot of drawing done, apart from a few started pics and some thumbnails. The Snake Queen went by the wayside, I never finished it and missed the deadline of the comp.

On the upside, I’m now working on some 3D for work so I thought this would be a great chance for a crash course in Blender. I’m working with Blender 2.49 mainly, both because I haven’t got around to trying out 2.5 yet and also because I can’t get 2.5 to work on my Mac at work for various reasons.

So, here are some WIP images of what I’ve been building, early modelling screen caps and some early textured renders, testing out the rig.

The character design came from the client, I’m not sure where the original design came from but I didn’t have a lot of reference for her, so I tried to model her as closely as possible. I can’t show any of the animation tests I’ve done so far, since it’s for a commercial but I’ll post them in due time. He is fully rigged (that was a learning experience, my first character rig in Blender) Basically, I’ve gone through the whole process of building, UV mapping and body and face rigging from scratch (including the wings, 6 limbs altogether!), using any tips, tutorials or videos I could find on the web. Believe me, there are plenty. A few frustrating hours here and there trying to figure certain things out, or losing stuff I’d done, mainly through my own inexperience. But all in all I’m really pleased with how it’s turning out so far. Here’s my current, and pretty much finished model and rig, with final UV texture.

So all I need to figure out now is animation, lighting and rendering. Piece of cake!